If you are a caregiver taking care of an adult with special needs, you know that independence can be hard, if not an impossibility for him or her. On a daily basis, your loved one relies on you for help in some way or another. The thought of sending them on a vacation 20 miles away, much less overseas seems unrealistic.
The benefits of their experiencing a trip of a lifetime, however, can be very rewarding for both of you. When they return, the joy they will share with you from their vacation coupled with the joy you get from sharing their exciting experience can make it all worthwhile. Not to mention, you may feel rejuvenated and ready to go again.
How do you begin to research a destination’s accessibility for your loved one’s needs? You know it would be worth it, but the planning alone is absolutely overwhelming.
The Guided Tour, Inc has that all figured out! Founded in 1972, they have been providing “professionally supervised vacations for adults with developmental challenges,” for the last 45 years. They strive to create enriched experiences that provide recreation and socialization for special needs travelers.
They understand that many of their travelers are doing so for the first time. The Guided Tour’s job is to assist travelers in every aspect of their trip so they can get the most out of their vacation.
“The Guided Tour staff make sure our travelers not only have their independence, but they also make sure our travelers have assistance with money, medication, and of course, fantastic memorable vacation,” they explain on their website.
They provide the following for their travelers:
- Supervised vacations for adults with developmental challenges
- Over 40 years of special needs travel experience and expertise
- Experienced staff who are paid professionals
- Staff to traveler ratio of 1:3 and trip coordinators with many years of experience leading special needs travel groups
- “On-Wheels” trips with 1:1 staffing for individuals who use a wheelchair or are slow pacers
- A nurse on the majority of trips to oversee any additional medical needs
- A variety of local, national and international trips to choose from with exciting itineraries exploring new horizons.
- Summer Vacations at the Seashore in New Jersey with a beautiful beach house just one block from the beach
- Adult Resort camp experiences available four times a year in the beautiful Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania
- Special vacations provide social groups for adults with special needs and expand their friendship circle
Below are some of the trips they offer. (For a full list of trips and rates, go here).
- Walt Disney World Resort – Orlando, Florida
- Las Vegas – City of Dazzling Lights
- Hawaii-The Dream Vacation
- Williamsburg, VA & Busch Gardens
- Ireland – The Beautiful Emerald Isle
- London, England
- Memphis on Wheels*
- Walt Disney World Resort On Wheels*
- Nashville on Wheels*
- New Year’s Extra Long Weekend in Atlantic City
- Dolphin Watch
- Nashville -Music City U.S.A
- Mystic, Connecticut
- Baseball Spring Training plus Walt Disney World Resort attractions
- Elvis Presley’s Memphis & Tunica, Miss.
- Summer Vacations at the Seashore
- Whale Watching
- Adult Resort at Camp Lee Mar in the Pocono Mountains
- Cancun, Mexico
- Paris, France
- Rodeo Weekend
- Cruises to Nova Scotia, Bermuda
- Bahamas and the Caribbean
Payment plans are available for travelers. If you are interested in learning more about what The Guided Tour has to offer, and how you can start to plan your loved one’s trip, visit their website. Or you visit them on Facebook.
Do you have any good tips for planning a trip for an adult with specials needs or experiences you wish to share? We would love to hear from you. Share with us here.
NOTE: This feature cites information from The Guided Tour.