While spring is rapidly approaching and the countdown to Spring Break has officially begun, March’s weather certainly doesn’t bring sunshine and warmth for all parts of the United States. It’s hard to think about spring when for months winter storms have been rolling through, bringing gloomy clouds and rain or snow. It’s always nice when cooler weather begins, relieving us from the heat wave of summer, but it doesn’t take too long for us to day dream of warmer times.
If you are feeling like winter’s got you down, here are some fun ways to beat the winter blues!
- Stay Active: It can be easy to snuggle up in a warm house and kick your exercise routine to the curb when the days are shorter and the cold is bitter, but exercising will keep you motivated, positive and overall, more happy. Don’t let the weather get in the way of your healthy habits.
- Lighten Up: Light therapy is an effective way to fight the winter blues. Purchase a Light Box, like this one from Amazon, and lighten things up in your home. It’s recommended that you sit in front of the light box for at least 30 minutes a day, preferably in the morning, to feel it’s positive effects. So brighten up, close your eyes and imagine yourself on a beach, with the sun shining on your face. And don’t worry, winter will be over soon!
- Vitamin D is Key: Depending on what type of job you have and the type of natural Vitamin D you receive on a daily basis, taking this supplement all year could be a good idea. But, especially in the winter, taking Vitamin D helps improve your mood and makes you more positive.
- Go Outside: Take advantage of the warmer days and sunny moments when they present themselves. Even if a warm day is 40 degrees, get outside! Play and enjoy the outdoors when you can. Being inside for too long can make you stir crazy!
- Eat a Healthy Diet: Comfort food is a must when the winter blues have got you down, but don’t over due it! There are plenty of ways to modify your meals and stay healthy, rather than loading up on carbs and cheese. Check out this warm and delicious Butternut Squash Puree Soup recipe for some inspiration.
- Cleanse Your Space: Feeling trapped in your home is common when the weather outside is uninviting. Take advantage of the time you have at home and spruce up the place by simply rearranging your space and purging of unneeded items. Moving furniture, hanging new pictures and decluttering are all wonderful ways to keep your mind in a positive place plus, it’ll make your space feel fresh and new.