Whether you clicked to this article from our interview with chef Travis Milton, or you just wanted to read these family recipes from our Culinary Library, welcome! We’ve got some great ones lined up this month, and we’re excited to share them with you! These recipes are designed to be allergen-free. However, if you, or someone you cook for, has allergies, you may find our contributor article on tips for avoiding cross contamination in the kitchen helpful!
Read the ingredients and instructions below, and check out the photos we took to give you a better idea for how it looks.
Kilt Lettuce Salad
- 1 package fresh creesie greens
- ½ bundle of mustard greens
- 1 bundle of baby kale
- 1 ½ package of Slab Benton’s Bacon
- 2 cups of Crab Apple Cider Vinegar (can substitute Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 5 spring onions chopped, both greens and whites
- 1 ½ tsp of fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp of JQ Dickenson Salt
- Wash all greens thoroughly and dry. Mix them all together with the green onions and place in a large bowl.
- Cut slab bacon into ½ in cubes and render in a heavy bottom pot/pan until they barely start to get crispy.
- Remove bacon pieces from the pot/pan with a slotted spoon, and increase heat to medium-high. Pour vinegar over top of greens and toss.
- Once the bacon grease has reached 350 degrees, just to smoking point, remove from heat and gently pour over the lettuce (optional).
- Add bacon to the bowl, season lettuce with salt and pepper, and toss.
– Springible Culinary Library Chef, Travis Milton
If you have a modified diet recipe, we’d love to hear from you!